We talked about the impact on global supply chain, feasibility of the #TechDecoupling, #semiconductor & #AI competitions, Chinese talents in the US, university collaboration, offshoring tech..
I have shared my views on how our HK startups can deal with this challenge. What did we learn from the 9 HK #unicorns?
1. Accelerate our biz to ASEAN & mainland China particularly the Greater Bay, not just HK
2. Set up an international team with leaders & staff in foreign countries
3. Look for partnership & investment from the companies in the just-born Hang Seng Internet and Information Technology Index #HSIII
4. Focus more on business model innovation as we have the market scale with lots of pain points
5. Speed up #DeepTech R&D with universities in HK and funding from the mainland
It is challenging time for our startups for sure. #Cyberport, #HKSTP & many ecosystem stakeholders are offering programs and fundings to our startups to overcome this challenging time. We shall overcome.
Traditional companies can compete well in the #DigitalEconomy if they can reskill & empower their employees with #BigData capabilities & #DataLiteracy. #Adsale, a leading exhibition services company in Asia, is a great example.
My team & I have conducted a 2 days big data workshop to Adsale’s 60+ employees from top to middle mgt, from sales to ops. The learning culture of Adsale is what I admired the most. A traditional company has the practice to keep innovating & learning every year, from #DesignThinking, to #BigData & #AI. Big Data is an enabler but an innovative culture is the key for any big data project success. In today’s digital era, every company needs to be #DataDriven & every employee needs to be #CitizenDataScientist in order to have the right to compete.
We talked about the core concepts, applications, monetization, platform, cases, implementation, challenge, org issues, prioritization, governance & more. I also invited big data #startups#LivelyImpact#ClareAI#Luna2#Radica to share their innovations & IT veteran Andrew Ling to share his experience as #CIO of several major traditional companies. All these discussions were fruitful & practical.
Thanks to all guests, Adsale’s mgt & their teammates, my partner Ivan Ng for their active participation.
300+ participants of #HKICTAwards 2020 joined a briefing session organized by #OGCIO & #HKPC. Competition judges & award winners have shared their experience. Thanks Sunny Lee Kingsley Wong Agnes Mak & Dr. Chris Leung.
Almost 50% participants are their first time joining HKICT Awards. The speakers’ sharings were very useful to them. I am the Chief Judge of the #FinTech Award & have experience in hundreds of worldwide #competitions. Let me share some thoughts here.
My key messages are:
1. Mindset: The participants are all winners already as this process will facilitate them to learn from the judges, participants, etc.
2. Critical Thinking: Get someone outside your comfort zone to challenge you. If you’re a corp, get #startups & #investors to critically review yours & vice versa.
3. Hockey Stick: #BusinessModel solving a big pain point with scalability & explosiveness as a hockey stick
4. Team Mix: Do u have a good mix of domain, biz mind, #entrepreneur, technologist, finance expert in your team?
5. WoW: Do u have a WoW in your #innovation? How unique is it?
6. KYJ: Know Your Judges. Different judges have different appetites. Predict what they ask.
Congrats to Hong Kong Startups Ecosystem. 3 flagship events are all in this week. #InvestHK#HKFinTechWeek, #Cyberport Venture Caplital Forum (#CVCF) and #HKSTP#ElevatorPitch (#EPiC). We altogether organized a super successful startups week in Hong Kong and for #HongKong even under the recent situation in Hong Kong. Thank you.
What we can do these days is not to give up or stop our #innovation and #technology aspirations. Rather we need to work together even harder and contribute even more to continue building on what we have established in the past few years and keep cultivating our startups. That is the way we can help #HK in this stage and sustain our strength. Let’s keep on our momentum.
Lessons learned from 8 #Unicorns from Hong Kong and Shenzhen. Unicorns from Hong Kong #Klook#Sensetime#TNG#Welab and Unicorns from Shenzhen #柔宇#優必選#百迈#微物联 were sharing their Road to Unicorn “成獸之路” last week in #Cyberport Hong Kong. Thanks for #HKITJC#深港科技社团联盟 to organize it. Some key takeaways from these top start-ups: 1. Have a great vision and build that from inside to outside 2. Attract talents and be able to keep them 3. Able to overcome major challenges like running out of cash but hang on to continue (many of them faced this in their journey) 4. B2B is important as it’s not just for win-win for business but co-creating a much better customer experience to customers 5. Young talents may not be ready to be an entrepreneur but they may like to join a promising start-ups. Inspire them.and have them to join you. More… Thanks to Alex Kong (江庆恩)Tat LeeDavid Liu#Sensetime 尚海龍
Startup launches UnionPay card payment service for HK taxis
Hong Kong commuters can now use their UnionPay cards to pay for taxi fares.
One2Paid, a cashless payment solution startup under local fintech company CamClaim, has partnered with UnionPay International, China Mobile Hong Kong, K&R International and JetSet Taxi to provide the mobile payment service.